At St. Stephen’s School, we believe in the importance of student-teacher interaction in the early grades. Our focus is on play-based learning, and students learn numeracy and literacy skills through games, artwork, singing, stories, and through the use of technology.
To enroll in Kindergarten, students must reach the age of 5 by December 31 of the year they start school. Students with special needs who are eligible for Pre-Kindergarten Program Unit Funding program may be admitted before their kindergarten year.
In our Kindergarten program, we are pleased to offer:
- Five-day, full-day Kindergarten Programming
- No School Fees
- Early Supports for every child to help them in their areas of growth
- Regular Technology Access (SMART Boards, iPads)
- Visits to the School Library
- Physical Activity
- Reading Buddies
- To be eligible for Kindergarten in September 2021, your child must be five years of age by December 31, 2021
- HFCRD is also pleased to offer ECS Specialized Programming for children with disabilities or delays.
In our Pre-Kindergarten Program Unit Funding program, we are pleased to offer:
- Children less than 4 years 8 months of age on September 1 and have not yet accessed two years of of pre-K programming and meet the Alberta Education Special Education Coding criteria are eligible for this program
- Flexible instruction will be offered based on each child’s individual needs and interests. Access to multidisciplinary support, such as Speech and Language Pathologist, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Psychologist, Hearing and Vision and Behaviour Management Consultation services will be if required.
Faith-Filled Learning Environment
At St. Stephen’s, our teachers show Jesus’ love every day, and we also share stories from the Bible. Students do not have to be Catholic to attend St. Stephen’s School, but are expected to participate in our daily prayers. At St. Stephen’s School, we have a Christ-Centered atmosphere where we model our faith. In our Catholic school, the spiritual development of children is nourished, recognizing that young children are each at a unique place in their spiritual development. Our students participate in religious activities and celebrations, as well as meet the priest and other members of the parish. The Kindergarten classroom, along with all classrooms in our school have a prayer center where the Bible has a special place of honor. A cross, candles and a special cloth will also be present. At St. Stephen’s School, Catholic teaching permeates our school environment and is infused in all subject areas.
At St. Stephen’s School, our teachers develop and apply foundational knowledge about Indigenous people for the benefit of all students. We support the learning experiences of all students by using resources that accurately reflect and demonstrate the strength and diversity of Indigenous people and therefore school staff is always looking for opportunities to access resource people for Indigenous classroom visits and programs.
A Love of Learning
The primary focus of our kindergarten program is to develop a love of learning in our students. If our students love school right from the start, they will carry that love of learning throughout their elementary years. For many students, Kindergarten is their first year of organized education so our focus is supporting them as they develop their unique gifts and talents. In order to support their transition into our school, we ensure that our program is play-based with a lot of hands-on learning activities, while still having a strong focus on literacy and numeracy.
Flexibility to adapt to the changing needs of students in kindergarten, as well as our other grades, is an important feature of our inclusive education programming at St. Stephen’s School. Specific delivery models for individualized programs may vary from class to class, depending on the needs of the individual students attending. Some of the services available to our students include Speech Services, Occupational Therapy Services, and Emotional & Behavioral Support.
If you have questions about St. Stephen’s School, please do not hesitate to contact our school at 780-524-3562.